7 Places That Will Pay You to Move There in 2022
With the increasing popularity of remote work, many people are reconsidering where they choose to live. While historically people have been tied to a particular geographic location due to their employer, that is less and less the case in 2022. Looking to capture a portion of these remote workers, many locations are starting programs that will pay you to either move there or visit. Here’s a look at some of the options:
Places that will pay you to move there in 2022
Here are six places in the United States that are offering up to $10,000 (or more) to move there in 2022.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma — Tulsa Remote offers a $10,000 grant upon purchase of a home.
- Northwest Arkansas — $10,000 in either cash or cryptocurrency for living in either Benton or Washington counties for at least twelve months
- Hamilton, Ohio — Up to $10,000 to repay student loans if you’ve graduated in the past seven year from a STEAM program
- West Virginia — fueled by a $25 million grant from former Intuit CEO Brad Smith and his wife, the Ascend WV program will give you $10,000 in equal monthly payments for moving there for a year and an additional $2,000 your 2nd year.
- Topeka, Kansas — Choose Topeka offers remote workers up to $5,000 for renting for a year or $10,000 for purchasing a home
- Remote Shoals, Alabama — If you move to Northwest Alabama (Colbert and Lauderdale Counties) and have an annual income of at least $52,000, you can get $10,000 in your first year.
These types of programs typically operate for a limited time, so make sure to double-check for available programs when you are ready to move. If you’re looking to visit instead of move, Sicily, Italy is offering your third night free at certain hotels and 50% off your ferry or plane tickets.
Comparing Cost of Living
One thing to keep in mind when thinking of changing locations is the cost of living. The Cost of Living Index (COLI) compares expenses in different areas of the country or world. A COLI of 100 represents an area with average expenses — an area with a COLI of above 100 is more expensive. Conversely, a COLI of less than 100 means that area is less expensive than average.
You can use Mint’s Cost of Living Calculator to learn more about cost of living and calculate how a move will affect your overall cost of living.
The Bottom Line
If you work remotely or have geographic flexibility, you might want to check out one of these programs that pay people to move. Most of these programs require you to either purchase a home or rent for at least twelve months. These types of programs often operate only for a limited time only or are only open for a limited number of participants, so you’ll want to make sure to verify the details if you’re looking to take advantage.
There’s been a problem with 529 plans from their very beginning. They’ve always been a gamble. You gambled your…