9 Questions to Ask Your Insurance Agent to Before Committing
What are the most important questions you must ask your insurance agent before committing? Why are these questions important?
Questions abound when it comes to insurance. That’s a good thing, especially if you’re seeking to get the most out of your policy or tack on more coverage. Consumers, on the other hand, aren’t always sure where to begin… or what questions to ask.
Independent reliable insurance agents near you are always available to provide clarity or a second view whenever you require it. To cut through the clutter and get to the heart of coverage, you need to ask your insurance agent some important questions.
Consider these 9 discussion starters to help you arrange your ideas before speaking with an agent or to refresh your memory on questions to ask:
- What is the amount of my deductible? Do you know how much you’ll have to pay out of pocket if you ever need to file an insurance claim? Ask an agent about your deductible and make sure it fits into your budget.
- What is the cost of my insurance premium? Find out how much insurance will cost and what payment alternatives are available, for example.
- What will happen if I am involved in a car accident? How long will an adjuster take to look over the damage? How many car insurance quotes will I require? Do you collaborate with a group of repair shops? Will you offer me a car rental?
- Is my homeowners insurance policy adequate for my needs? Do you have enough coverage for the worth of your home and belongings? To calculate the right coverage amount, our advisors recommend taking inventory and making a list of valuables. Another common concern is if you need more insurance because of your location, such as if you live in a flood zone or in a hurricane-prone area. Are you free to hire any contractor to fix the damage if something goes wrong, or do you have a preferred contractor? Does my coverage cover hotel bills if my home becomes uninhabitable for a period of time?
- Is it time for me to start thinking about life insurance? When is the best time to buy life insurance? Is it better to purchase a Whole Life or Term Life insurance policy? What’s the difference between the two? A policy will help the vast majority of people.
- Is my liability insurance adequate? Every state mandates a minimum amount, but do I require more?
- Is it necessary for me to have an umbrella policy? Do I require further protection than what my current plans provide?
- Are there any discounts available for me? Is there a discount for having many policies? Can I get a lower premium if I take a driver’s safety course? Is there a discount for alumni at my alma mater? Can I save money by bundling my car and home insurance policies?
Beyond these questions you need to ask your independent insurance agent, there are also what you should not say to an insurance agent.
Here are some of the things you should not say to an insurance agent when involved in a car accident. Do not apologize, admit fault, or detail your injuries/lack thereof. Do not tell an insurance agent that you aren’t injured or anything about the injuries you do have. Never admit fault or apologize for the accident. Doing otherwise can make them deny claims.